A New Renderer

After years of stuffing around with different renderers, including VRay, MentlRay and Maxwell I have finally settled on Keyshot. On a Mac using Maya, for what I want to do it seems ideal.

Above are some very early materials test. Early days and a long way to go, but Keyshot with it’s new Materials Graph looks very promising.

The mesh is my old 375Plus Ferrari and I still need complete it and repair some poorly formed parts. There are no texture maps, all parts are modelled including the instrument dials.


A change of direction



After a fair bit of neglect I am re-visiting my blog and changing the direction of my personal project time. As per my last post I was going to concentrate on accurate modelling of existing designs and photo-realism in 3d rendering. I am still going to focus on the later but am going to forget the existing design bit and put more focus on my original designs.

Back in 2008 I designed the “Generic GT” to be used for News Ltd’s CarsGuide Car of the Year announcements, the purpose being to have a form to put a cloth simulation over that couldn’t be identified as any specific car and used for promotional images leading up to the announcement. Given that it was just the general form I was after I didn’t detail it out – I am now going to do that to a level where you can not tell if it is real or not – hopefully.

Also I have now decided to use this design as the base for my own learnings in Unity3d, VR and 3d printing. This all has some relevance to my profession – details of which can be found in the “About” link. I have been dabbling with Unity since v3 and recently have been doing a lot of tutorials for v5. With the latest improvements and direction in Global Illumination, it has got me inspired again.

The tasks I have set myself over the next year;
• Detail the design including interior, engine and running gear.
• Build a web based “Configurator” in Unity3d (Porsche use it for theirs)
• 3dPrint a high resolution, low detail version of the 3d model for use in a VR solution.
• Again in Unity make the model drivable through a simple stylised track to show gamification possibilities.

Ferrari 375 update

I am finally getting back into modelling and for a while will be concentrating on 3 projects. The Ferrari 375 has been annoying me for a while in that I have never been happy with the underlying mesh – so I have gone back and fixed the issues. The intention is to do each of the variations of the “Plus”, including the longer nose model that Bonhams recently sold. (reference image below)

I am also going to be detailing the Ferrari Transporter, fixing that mesh as well, and doing new versions of the 34 Ford.